Related software and tools (not strictly enhancement related)
This page is under construction.
This page provides an overview of some of the non-FIVE tools that are most often cited within the entire pre-, filter-, and post-processing of a Forensic Image and Video Enhancement workflow, i.e.:
These tools are not, or are only to a very limited degree, related to image/video enhancement problems. However, they are considered "useful in general" within the overall work flow of a FIVE-laboratory.
The tools have been ordered alphabetically; i.e.:
The project team does not wish to promote or endorse any specific (selection of the) tools listed here.
As this list is not considered to be of major importance to the project, it may not be actively updated by the project team. So:
You are kindly invited to provide any additional links and references, or any other feedback that you may have (see "Contact Us" page).
Vendors that would wish to provide additional information may request to have one specific link included on this page. They are kindly requested to contact the project-team (see "Contact Us" page).
Commercial software tools:
- Foclar DesktopGrabber - A versatile tool for capturing analogue and digital video on location http://www.foclar.com/dtg.html (update Feb. 2017)
- Ocean Systems Omnivore: http://www.oceansystems.com/forensic/forensic_video_analysis/omnivore/index.php
Video Indexing/Event detection/processing large amounts of video
- Foclar Vanga : http://www.foclar.com/vanga.html (update Feb. 2017)
- Infadyne Vindex http://www.infinadyne.com/vindex.html
- Kinesense; analyzing large amounts of video using “event detection” methods http://www.kinesense-vca.com/product/kinesense-le/
- "Ziuz" Surveillance AVACS 5 http://surveillance.ziuz.com/en/portfolio/avacs5
Face recognition/finding or tracking people
- Unidas Expertise Pro: face recognition and comparison http://www.unidas.com/html/body_products.html
- Seequestor http://www.seequestor.com/
Image/video authentication (updated Jan. 2017)
- AMPED Authenticate http://ampedsoftware.com/authenticate : authentication of stills
- Belkasoft: http://belkasoft.com/forgery-detection
- Forensic Photo Lab FIAS http://www.forensicav.ro/software.htm
- FourMatch: http://www.fourandsix.com/fourmatch/
- Exomakina Tungstene: www.exomakina.fr/eXo_maKina/Tungstene.html
- Photifidy http://photidify.se/
- Verifeyed: http://verifeyed.com/
Video container/bitstream analysis tools (new Oct. 2016)
- Zond 265 - HEVC Video Analyzer http://www.solveigmm.com/en/products/zond/
- StreamEye Video quality/bitstream analyzer http://acustek.com/en/forensic/lab-solutions/hex-analysis.html
- Acustek media file structure analysis for forensic audio/video evidence authenticity approval http://acustek.com/en/forensic/lab-solutions/hex-analysis.html
(Online) Composers/editors/effects...(updated Jan. 2017)
- Avid composer http://www.avid.com/US/Products/ArtistSuite/detail.html#video
- Grassvalley http://www.grassvalley.com/products/maincat-editing
- https://www.magic-picture.com/best-image-enhancement-tools-of-2016/ webpage containing overview of online photo editing/"enhancement" tools, etc.; including
- Netcetera: CodecChef enables the decentralised capture of video evidence of a wide range of different sources. It automatically recognizes the different codecs and transcodes them into a common standard format. (updated Jan. 2017)
- SiraView http://www.siraview.com/ : replay, export, sharing, storyboarding of CCTV formats
- NFI defraser: http://sourceforge.net/projects/defraser/ : recovery of MPEG1/2, H263 video fragments and 3GP/MP4 containers etc. Commercial H.264 plugin
- Grau Video Repair software http://grauonline.de/ (link provided by the VideoFREE (BKA, NFI, NICC, SKL/NFC), subgroup within ENFSI FITWG)
- Adroit Photo Forensics http://digital-assembly.com/ (has halted all commercial operation in May 2015)
- NICC JPGcarve (can also be used to carve pictures within some proprietary M-JPEG files) http://nicc.fgov.be/datarecovery tool and tool license are not yet available.
- PC Crash http://www.pc-crash.com/
Photogrammetry (updated July 2017)
- in 2d/3d: http://www.iwitnessphoto.com/iwitness/
- software tool for image comparison using reverse projection, a form of photogrammetry: http://www.foclar.com/corepro.html
Free or *ware software
- Format Factory: http://www.pcfreetime.com/ : multimedia-conversion tool
Image/video authentication (updated Jan. 2017)
- EXIFtool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
- JPEGsnoop: http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html
- REWIND project: http://sites.google.com/site/rewindpolimi/ (EU website: http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/99512_en.html; domain name http://www.rewind.eu/ is unavaible (Jan. 2017), domain name http://www.rewindproject.eu/ seems to be taken by other parties)
Tools for creating panorama images/stitching
Video editing tools
- a list of open source video editing and other tools can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open_source_software_packages#Video_editing ; these include:
- Avidemux http://www.avidemux.org/; list of available (simple) ﬁlters (deinterlace, noise removal, blur): http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:video_filters.
- AviSynth http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
- Blender http://www.blender.org/ Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite,
- Cinelerra http://www.cinelerra.org/ Cinelerra is the most advanced non-linear video editor and compositor for Linux.
- DScaler http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/: The DScaler project is an ongoing attempt to get the best video quality possible from a Windows PC; DScaler is an open-source video deinterlacer and scaling program. It would seem (May 2012) that this project is no longer active.
- DVD Flick http://www.dvdflick.net/ Flick aims to be a simple but at the same time powerful DVD Authoring tool
- Jahshaka http://www.jahshaka.com/ (formerly known as CineFX) aims to become a cross-platform, open source, free, video editing software, eﬀects, and compositing suite,
- Kaltura http://www.kaltura.org/project video application development, hosting, streaming, media management, video processing, etc.
- Kdenlive http://www.kdenlive.org/ Kdenlive is an intuitive and powerful multi-track video editor, including most recent video technologies.
- LiVES http://lives-video.com/ LiVES mixes realtime video performance and non-linear editing in one professional quality application.
- OpenShot Video Editor, http://www.openshot.org/features/
- PiTiVi http://www.pitivi.org/ is a free, intuitive and featureful movie editor for the Linux desktop.
- VirtualDub http://www.virtualdub.org/ is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bitand 64-bit Windows platforms
- VirtualDubMod http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/ is based on VirtualDub by Avery Lee. Born as a uniﬁcation of several modiﬁcations, new features have been added including support for the matroska format. This project has been discontinued since 2004-2005.
Video player tools
- VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia ﬁles as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
Automatic number plate recognition
- http://javaanpr.sourceforge.net/: Java Automatic Number Plate Recognition. An important question that currently remains unanswered is how objective criteria for evaluating FIVE-methods can be realized. One possible solution would be to apply ANPR/OCR algorithms to improved images, and rate the performance of an ANPR system on those images.